Tennis balls are made up of what?
Tennis balls consist of a core of rubber that is hollow and covered with a felt shield. There is also a limited quantity of cement that keeps together the felt outside.
It’s the pressurized air that lets the tennis balls bounce inside the rubber core.
Are they biodegradable tennis balls? Are they bad for the surrounding environment?
Tennis balls are, sadly, not biodegradable because they are terrible for the climate.
Although natural rubber is recyclable on its own, but very slowly (about 100 years), the felt coating and cement are not biodegradable, so the tennis ball can only sit for several years in the landfill. Worse still, over time, massive tonnes of methane are emitted, leading to global warming.
It is thought that it could take a whopping 400 years for tennis balls to decompose!
Ways to recycle and decorate with tennis balls
Are you a fanatic of tennis? What do you do with the old balls? We propose some ways to recycle tennis balls to create the most original decorative objects for your home.
- Mirror: Have you ever seen a mirror decorated with tennis balls? Well, this very simple idea, apart from being very original, will not go unnoticed by your visitors. If you find the yellow too garish, you can spray paint the balls in color you like best.
- Keyholder: How many times have you spent more than 5 minutes trying to find the keys to your house or car? This key holder made with a tennis ball may be your solution. A horizontal cut, a few eyes, and voila!
- Cardholder: As a cardholder or to hold the names of the guests at a celebration. For this practical idea with tennis balls, you only need to make a horizontal cut to put the cards and another at the base so that the balls remain standing.
- Dolls: When you have children, nephews, or children of friends who need to be entertained, preparing this craft together can be a great resource. Making a doll or puppet from a tennis ball is easy; the cartoon you will have to invent later is something else!
- Hanger: What better way to give a little joy to your kitchen than by creating some original hangers for kitchen towels with tennis balls. If you design eyes and add a suction cup on the back, you already have it.
- To massage your feet: If you’ve had a hard day, have been on your feet for many hours, or want to treat yourself, try massaging your feet with a tennis ball. Take off your shoes and step on it firmly but without using too much force while turning it with the sole of your foot. You will see what a feeling of rest!
- Your mail-in order: Keep your postal mail in order and sight with the same system as the kitchen towel hanger or the key holder: a simple horizontal cut and a suction cup to hold the ball on the wall. It is also an amazing idea to always have a pen at hand. On many occasions, while on the phone, you have needed to write down something quickly, and you could not find any.
- A chair: A good idea for the handyman. It is not difficult, but you will need to have a chair that, like the one in the image, has horizontal rods that allow you to place the balls across. If you do not see feasible finding such a chair, you can make another version that consists of cutting the balls in half and sticking them on the back of a wooden or metal chair.
- A bed for your dog: This idea is for those who want to get an A in crafts. We do not know if your dog will find this bed made from tennis balls comfortable, but it will surely attract his attention. Even if it’s to bite them …
- Candleholder: Making a candleholder with tennis balls has no mystery, but would you have thought of it? If you live with a tennis or paddle tennis fan and you want to wink at him through the decoration, this is a good way.
Isn’t it fun? I’d fill the house with these cute organizer balls. I like that they are fun and at the same time that they serve to hold different objects, becoming a pencil holder, a keychain, and even a small coat rack.